Evernote

Clip to Evernote

Friday, January 25, 2013

3 Weeks on the Slow-Carb express!

Just an update on my eating adventure. So far I have been able to stick to the plan and the result is lost pounds and inches. I expected to lose weight since I dropped all the junk food! The question is whether my body will actually turn into a fat burning machine or burn out.

Because mornings have been chilly to downright cold here, I have taken to cooking breakfast. I have chosen a routine a a quick skillet dish that consists of:

  • bean: usually white northern or black
  • 3 veggies from this group: mushrooms, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, peas
  • spinach or kale and/or chard
  • seasoning style: salsa, cumin, garlic/pepper grind; herbs de Provence; onions; cumin, rosemary, paprika, simple sea salt and ground pepper; and don't forget the balsamic vinegar on top of the spinach
  • sometimes tofu
I use tamari sauce and veg broth combined in lieu of oil to cook the veggies in a skillet. Add the beans once the veggies are tenderizing. Finally, drop handfuls of spinach on top and let it reduce. When the spinach or kale is cooked, it's done. 

At first it was a chore, it was not familiar and I resisted, but I persisted. Now it is just routine and I enjoy it. 

If I'm on the run its almond milk shaken with protein powder. 

For a main meal lunch or dinner I cook a variation of the skillet dish in a large skillet or wok with asian spices or other bold flavors and more veggies in the mix. I found a wonderful artichoke tapinade at Trader Joe's that goes great on the breakfast skillet when you want just a bit of bite. It also can be mixed with veggie broth for a nice salad dressing. 

Costco has been stocking a wonderful salad mix called Sweet Kale Salad mix. It has 7 super foods in it that are extra good for you - cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, chicory plus pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries (those 2 are in a separate pouch). I eat it as salad, put it in the wok, and sometimes add it to the skillet meal. 

Winter provides opportunity to make chili and soup. Finding a canned soup is a little tricky since potato and pasta are everywhere, even in vegetable soups. Amy's split pea soup is great and there is a black bean soup that is tasty too. 

Spaghetti sauce can be a great base too. I use Muir Glenn because the sauce is very thick. I add mushrooms and broccoli (don't knock it - broccoli and sauce is a great combo!), and Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs. They come frozen and I pop as many as I want in the oven for 10 minutes and then add them to the sauce. I could add beans, but usually don't. And yes, this is a no pasta spaghetti dish :)

Getting off of sugar and processed fat is not easy. But knowing that I have Saturday as my indulgence day, enables me to practice delayed gratification. Try it. It is a good skill to sharpen. 

When I first began I found I was eating huge portions for fear that I would be hungry all day. Gradually, I have found that I am regaining my actual hunger sensors (leptids) and I am eating less. If I get hungry, I eat some veggies or a scoop of peanut butter or hummus with celery or carrot. Again, Costco carries the Savas brand hummus and offer a 16 mini-cup package. I put some carrots in a little bag, grab a hummus cup and I have a snack for an afternoon meeting when they start serving cookies as the afternoon sugar rush. Another good snack to stash is sunflower seeds or nuts. 

Most interesting to me is that I am enjoying drinking coffee without sugar or cream! I just auto used cream and sugar, never drinking it black. But coming off the sugar, I find I don't miss it in coffee and I am learning what coffees taste like, lol. 

Bon Appetite and Be a Happy Herbivore!


No comments:

Post a Comment