Evernote

Clip to Evernote

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Green Lentils

I don't know much about lentils except that they are an excellent source of protein - 18grams per cup!!

Upon investigation I learned that green lentils, usually referred to as French green lentils, are the tastiest! Like me, you may have had brown or red lentils, often the supermarket variety, and they are not great. I have tried them dried and canned and was not a fan. Determined to find a lentil that would please my palate, I tried Bob's Red Mill brand. I've had wonderful luck with his products before and his record remains intact!

Green lentils are firm, but tender - not crunchy, not mushy. They have a wonderful flavor that I can't describe. But I know it is a flavor and not the gritty, bean-y taste of red or brown lentils.

Here is how I simply fixed them:

1 C green lentils
2.5 C vegetable broth
bring to a boil and boil 2-3 minutes (per instructions on the bag)

Add:
3/4-1 C sliced carrots
1/2 onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 to 1 tsp herbs de Provance

reduce heat and cook covered for 25-30 minutes

Vegans are often asked - "but where do you get your protein?" Just answer - green lentils!!

This dish is great for lunch on its own, as a side for dinner, or reheated as a quick breakfast. No starchy carbohydrates that turn into sugars  (unlike pasta, rice, or breads).

Here's another recipe and some more info on lentils from Seventh Generation (yes, the soap product people!) http://www.seventhgeneration.com/learn/blog/foods-we-love-lentils 

No comments:

Post a Comment